Writing, like other arts, is a representation of life. Thus, the writer is compelled to live life more consciously. --Brad Wilcox

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

26 Haikus for You

This year for Rhett's birthday, I wanted to do another book for him from family and friends, but different than last year's book. So I put together a book of haikus for him. He turned 26, and I wanted to get 26 haikus written by family and friends. I started collecting haikus about a month and a half ago--and what fun it was! Each time I got a new haiku, I'd burst with excitement to share it with Rhett. It was so hard to keep it a secret! They were so great! Everyone's was so creative and unique--some listed off qualities they admired in Rhett, others wrote about memories they had with him. One friend even wrote a line in Portuguese! It turned out to be a great collection. And Rhett loved it. He was impressed with everyone's talent at haiku-writing (as was I!), and he was excited to see what everyone had to write.

Here are some pictures of the book. I was going to make it in the usual style of books I do, but since I had given one to him for our recent anniversary (found here), I thought I'd try something different.

The body of the book was made from one sheet of paper, just folded and cut in certain places to create all the pages. I then stitched in the red pages. Here are some sample pages:

It was a fun size and such a fun project. Thanks to everyone who helped make it such a success! He loves it!

And . . . check back soon for the upcoming holiday sale!

1 comment: