Writing, like other arts, is a representation of life. Thus, the writer is compelled to live life more consciously. --Brad Wilcox

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Gift for Hubby

This year for Rhett's birthday, I decided to make a book for him from all the friends that we've made during our law school experience here. I wanted it to be a keepsake from everyone for years down the road. I think it turned out great.

A few weeks before I made it, I gave everyone their pages to work on. Their instructions were to pretty much do whatever they wanted--recall favorite memories with Rhett, thank him for something he's done for them, tell him why he's so super-cool, etc., or just wish him a happy birthday. Then I started collecting the pages--it was almost as fun as Christmas! Each new, unique page I collected got me so excited for the book. I loved them all.

This type of book is not bound with the Japanese Stab binding, like my journals are. It is actually called an Accordion book and can open up so all the pages are visible, or you can just turn them one by one like the pictures show. Because it's an accordion book, half the pages are on the front, then you turn it over and get to see the second half of the pages--a fun surprise for the recipient!

Here is the cover of the book. I used Heather's Cricut machine to cut the letters.


And here are pictures of some of the pages. For privacy, I didn't post pictures of the pages with family photos (but those turned out awesome too). I love the variety from everyone. It adds so much personality.








These are the pages from Summer and me.


And the back cover:

2 comments:

  1. Britt - You are so creative! The journals are beautiful. What a great talent. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, I feel like I've struck gold!!

    I am trying to find a not too expensive way to make home made scrapbooks with me brownie troop. So many great ideas, I love the ribbon binding.

    Do you use plastic sleeves for all the pages or do you just use the paper alone?

    ReplyDelete